Misdemeanor Defense Attorneys in Guilford County
Providing options when you are accused of lesser crimes
Misdemeanors are less serious crimes that can still pack a serious punch. It may seem a relief to only be charged with a misdemeanor, but be prepared. Jail time, fines and other penalties mean these "lesser crimes" should not be taken lightly.
The skilled legal representation offered by The Clifford Division of Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP can reduce the impact of a misdemeanor charge. Our Greensboro lawyers exert the same degree of skill and effort defending a misdemeanor charge as we do a felony. We draw on more than 50 years of combined criminal law experience to ensure clients receive the best advice and legal counsel, depending on the crime and your past convictions.
As former assistant district attorneys, we have had considerable contact with the criminal justice system. We know how police, prosecutors and judges operate and how best to position clients to prevail.
Minor crimes can generate major headaches for clients
There are hundreds of misdemeanor crimes in North Carolina. They are divided into four classes, each with its own structured punishment. If you have no prior convictions, the following penalties apply:
|Type of penalty
A1 misdemeanor 1‑60 days
|Examples of charges
Sexual battery, assault, stalking
Despite these seemingly less-severe consequences, a misdemeanor conviction can still wreak havoc on your life, impacting your work and your family. Never forget: jail is still a possibility with a misdemeanor conviction. You also face fines and may be sentenced to community service, special classes, probation or therapy or drug rehabilitation, depending on the crime and your past offenses.
Do not let the fear of a possible felony conviction persuade you to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge. The implications and penalties of misdemeanors are hardly desirable. Let a skilled attorney in Greensboro help you find the best strategy for your situation.
Knowledge and compassion to see you through
Dealing with a misdemeanor matter in Greensboro or High Point may be frustrating. Rely on The Clifford Division for a criminal defense lawyer who protects your interests, no matter the size of your case.
For your convenience, we offer free consultations in our office. We can arrange payment plans and gladly take credit cards.
Contact us at 336-574-2788 or online.
Cases We Handle
- Criminal cases in North Carolina District Court and Superior Court in Guilford County, including Greensboro and High Point
- 50B and 50C protection order cases in both North Carolina District Courts in Guilford County, including Greensboro and High Point
- Federal criminal cases
- Misdemeanors in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and sometimes Statesville and Durham
- Felonies in all four cities and on a case-by-case basis in any federal court in the United States
- Federal civil forfeiture cases, post-conviction work and investigations
on an individual basis
- Private prosecutions in state court on a case-by-case basis