Exceptional Greensboro DWI Defense
Guilford County attorneys who know criminal law
If you have been arrested for drunk driving, you may feel overwhelmed. You know the penalties for driving while impaired (DWI) are severe. We know DWI law is complex. You should also know The Clifford Division of Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP can help.
Our Greensboro lawyers understand what you are going through. We have seen it countless times in our more than 50 combined years of practice. We know your options, the law and the best way to craft a defense that brings you through the justice system with the best possible results.
We have been trusted over the decades by clients from all walks of life, including college students, office workers, professionals and retirees.
Defending your freedom and driving privileges in Greensboro
In most cases, DWI is charged as a misdemeanor in North Carolina. But do not let the term misdemeanor lull you into thinking this is a minor crime. Driving while impaired is no ordinary misdemeanor. It has its own DWI penalties, and they can be quite severe, including extended jail time, high fines and a suspended driver's license.
Even harsher penalties apply in a felony DWI — when your drunk driving causes someone's death, or you are a repeat DWI offender and receive your fourth conviction within 10 years. The North Carolina Legislature is continually looking at ways to make these penalties even more severe and to have the penalties come into play with fewer convictions.
Under North Carolina law, impaired driving is defined as driving while having a blood-alcohol content of 0.08 (0.04 in a commercial vehicle) or any amount of a Schedule I controlled substance such as heroin or PCP.
Pursuing every avenue of defense
In each DWI case, the lawyers in The Clifford Division engage in extensive pre-trial investigation and discovery to unearth evidence potentially favorable to your defense.
To obtain a conviction, the state has many requirements, from the traffic stop through trial. Our attorneys make sure police officers and prosecutors follow the letter of the law at every step:
- Was there probable cause for the stop?
- Did the officer properly conduct the field sobriety and Breathalyzer tests?
- Were the alcohol-detection devices properly maintained and calibrated?
- Were you read your rights at the proper time?
- Did prosecutors follow court deadlines and procedures?
Our attorneys pursue every option and stand by you before charges are filed, after they are filed and through trial, sentencing and appeal.
Greensboro, NC attorneys defending DWI
An arrest for drunk driving is serious, but it is not hopeless. Our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to champion your rights in court. We offer a free initial consultation, so you really have nothing to risk.
Contact The Clifford Division at 336-574-2788 or online today. Let us help.
Cases We Handle
- Criminal cases in North Carolina District Court and Superior Court in Guilford County, including Greensboro and High Point
- 50B and 50C protection order cases in both North Carolina District Courts in Guilford County, including Greensboro and High Point
- Federal criminal cases
- Misdemeanors in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and sometimes Statesville and Durham
- Felonies in all four cities and on a case-by-case basis in any federal court in the United States
- Federal civil forfeiture cases, post-conviction work and investigations
on an individual basis
- Private prosecutions in state court on a case-by-case basis