Criminal Law Update: Sex Offender Restrictions
The North Carolina General Assembly passed session law 2014-21 this week and amended the laws governing residential restrictions on Sex Offenders.
Under this amendment of N.C.G.S. § 14-208.16(b), the term child care center was expanded to specifically include “Boys and Girls Clubs of America” organizations. Thus, registered sex offenders are now explicitly precluded from residing within 1000 feet of such organizations.
However, those sex offenders who have already established residences within 1000 feet of such organizations prior to this amendment are grand-fathered in and the law will not apply.
You can read this law in full here: http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/SessionLaws/PDF/2013-2014/SL2014-21.pdf.
Cases We Handle
- Criminal cases in North Carolina District Court and Superior Court in Guilford County, including Greensboro and High Point
- 50B and 50C protection order cases in both North Carolina District Courts in Guilford County, including Greensboro and High Point
- Federal criminal cases
- Misdemeanors in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and sometimes Statesville and Durham
- Felonies in all four cities and on a case-by-case basis in any federal court in the United States
- Federal civil forfeiture cases, post-conviction work and investigations
on an individual basis
- Private prosecutions in state court on a case-by-case basis